Friday 25 May 2012

Moore and Moor

Another call from Moor(fields) today. They want to meet us next week and do a clinical exam and ERG as well as the blood sample. I had a chance to ask about the trials and what stage they are at. I gather that they are trying to collate a pool of possible trial subjects and future patients so that they can go ahead and apply for permission and/or funding for the trial. Clearly, they expect to have some success on this or the genetic counsellors would not be working so hard on it. I have very mixed feelings about gene therapy. On the one hand it seems like one shouldn't mess so much with nature/God. On the other hand, gene therapy really will cure diseases in the future. Scientists have been messing with nature/God for a very long time and this is the logical next step along that path. But why does it have to be my child who is at the forefront of this new wave of scientific discovery/experimentation? Still, I know I am fortunate that my child has the opportunity to participate in new treatments in time to benefit from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment