Thursday 3 June 2010

Review: The Island of the Colourblind by Oliver Sacks

Well, I wasn't blown away by this book and I don't even know if I would recommend it as a good read. I have to say I enjoyed the Achromatopsia Network books far more. But that is probably because they gave me information about Charlotte and that is what I am looking for right now.

The journey to the Pacific islands is portrayed enthusiastically and he gives a good overview of subjects as diverse as biology, botany, geology, history and Darwinism. What I wanted to read about were more personal accounts, even from Knut. But it was good to read about an outsiders's perception of Knut because many people with a condition may feel they are normal but not act like it to our way of thinking.

It's a very short book, the publishers have had to bundle it with another just to create enough pages to bind a book.

I don't think I'll be reading other Sacks' books, there's enough genetic curiosities in our lives to prevent me from being interested in reading about others'.

No comments:

Post a Comment