Friday 22 April 2011

Survivor's Guilt

I was with my sister this week and we were talking about parenting Charlotte. She said to me that sometimes she feels bad that she has four healthy children (and I don't). Just acknowledging the thought was enough to make my negative thoughts (and I have had some in the past) evaporate. It's amazing how powerful words can be.

I replied that I don't begrudge other parents their healthy children, and I realised I really don't. No family is perfect, no child is perfect, and we are all just muddling through as best we can. We love Charlotte and love having her in our lives. The only reason we would wish things were any other way would be for her sake, not ours.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, don't get me started. There was a time I would smile and say thank you to the people that had pity on me. Not that your sister is that at all. It's the strangers. I laugh at them now. Really I do. It makes them uncomfortable. I ask why my life is any different than theirs. It's mostly true. Mostly we get religious people wishing to pray for Rocco. Totally weird for me. I am kind and say of course, but I am mindful to let them know that he is actually quite fortunate and despite his disability has been born into a family of means, so maybe they should pray for the truly less fortunate. That always gets them thinking.

    It all boils down to the point that we have children that are different and will be treated differently. It is how we show them life that will make them the people they become.

    Rocco just started using a Braillenote. I'm amazed by technology. It surpasses my wildest dreams.

    ReplyDelete