Thursday 4 August 2011

Adaptive technology

Great video from the Achromatopsia Convention on one of their sessions here. Thanks for uploading guys - can we have any more?

It is a session showcasing adaptive technology available to Achromats and it's a bit salesy but I don't mind.

Products to remember:
Digital Handheld magnifier - quick, easy, small and light, shows you anything up close.
Colourino - who knew, a machine can tell you what colour something is!
CCTV - while I am not sure many Achromats actually need them for reading, the mobile arm could make a big difference in seeing across the room as well as up close magnification.
Voice-to-text software - to make typing email or notes quicker

But to my mind, the very best thing about this video is the presenter. It's not shown in the conference materials and it took me a while to work it out, but I think he is an Achromat. I only worked it out because he was talking about what works for him, otherwise, he looks like a regular but super-confident guy: giving a presentation in front of a room full of people, seeing hands raised for taking questions, talking about his grad school, his wife - yay! I looked really closely and wondered if he was wearing red lenses but couldn't really tell and he dislike of peer into reading materials, but nothing that would make anyone point and stare.

Point to remember: other people don't notice or care. He told the story of being self-conscious using his monocular in class and the guy sitting next to him for a 10 week course noticing on the final day!

1 comment:

  1. Oh the technology is amazing. Imagine what it will be like in 10 years? I dream of the wonderful things Rocco will get one day. His BrailleNote is fabulous!

    http://www.humanware.com/en-usa/products/blindness/braillenotes

    and my girlfriend forwarded me this just today!

    http://i.tuaw.com/2011/08/15/omnifer-adds-braille-makes-ipad-useful-for-the-blind/

    ReplyDelete