Thursday 4 August 2011

Achromat Kindergartener

I am (slowly) widening my circle of Achromat families and contacted someone through the Facebook group. She has a four year old who is about to start school. It was so great to see him in action today, he is a totally normal kid and all the kids had a great time at the soft play and the cafe that we went to. It is really good to compare notes with other mothers and find out about their situation. They are with the same consultant that we have, which is cool, and it was also interesting to note that he hasn't got a Statement for special needs for schooling. It really is a spectrum between lots of intervention and getting on with life as usual and each family falls somewhere along the line for different things. I was so interested in finding out as much as I could, because they are two years further down the road that we are on, but we ended up chatting about completely unrelated things about our kids and lives! I guess it's as good an endorsement as any that life goes on just the same.

I do want to write down one fantastic thing that she passed on to me: the head teacher at her son's new school said to her that every family has an issue, in some cases, it's obvious and in others it is more subtle, but all families have things that they have to deal with. Such a lovely, reassuring thing for him to say, and I really want to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment