Monday 28 March 2011

Small steps

I am getting increasingly worried that Charlotte is falling behind in her development. She is still progressing (which is the main thing) but she is a few days short of 19 months and she still doesn't walk or talk in any meaningful way.

That said, she did toddle from the bathroom to her bedroom tonight. That is the most steps she has ever taken by herself and the first time she has taken more than 2 steps that weren't to another person. Also first time she has ever walked from one room into another. So great strides are being made there I guess! Two side notes: 1. she is a very good climber and 2. naked toddling is pretty much the cutest thing I have ever seen, after naked crawling.

Then the talking: for a special kind of torture, I consulted the excel spreadsheet I used to keep of Emily's words when she started talking (yes, yes, I know). She is a child genius, of course, but she had so much more vocabulary at 17 months than Charlotte does at 19 months. But Charlotte is still acquiring words slowly, not one a day by any means, but acquiring nonetheless. Emily was an early talker too, she had very intellible language by the time she was 2. I guess I was hoping for that for Charlotte. We have a second hearing test for her on Wednesday. Maybe it's the Glue Ear from the perpetual colds they have had ever since the summer. I'm pretty sure she can hear, she does now turn towards the source of a sound. She can hear something quiet, like the click of my phone.

All good signs, I know, I am just feeling a bit frustrated that her progress seems so slow. I was hoping she would be walking properly by now and talking a lot too. We'll be with my mum in a few weeks and I am hoping she will get some good one on one face time with her which should help a lot with the talking.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I wish I had read this post before I commented on your other post. I of course cannot say "don't worry" because I am not a doctor, but having said that... DON"T WORRY TOO MUCH!!! My typical, non-blind third child, Vincenzo is turning 20 months on April 4th. I would love to say I'm not a teensy worried (because I am), but for the most part I'm not. He says nothing! No mama, no dada. Well , kind of says "ish" for ears and "da" for dogs and cats and birds. But really he says nothing. His sister now 7 said so many words by 18 months I gave up counting. And Rocco? Well at 4 they still thought he may be mentally retarded. Now at 8 he is the fourth child in his second grade class to move on to multiplication and in two weeks he will be starting division. He knows more about space than most eighth graders and he remembers details and facts from years gone by. Accurately! Oh, and Rocco walked at 22 months old and by 26 months he walked as if he had been walking since he was 12 months old. Even blind he walked no differently than others. Oh, I hope this is a ray of light through the dim room right now. It is hard the first few years. Over time it all gets easier. An achromat boy, well he's now 20, who lives near us is a college student studying music and he has a new girlfriend. I once spoke with his mom and she really couldn't remember a time when life seemed unsure for her son. Time changes so much. If you ever need to email me any questions I'm here.

    ReplyDelete