Thursday 12 August 2010

Miscellaneous ramblings

I've got lots to write about today, sometimes I think I don't have anything to say but if I really think about it, I can usually come up with something. Today, I have lots of somethings.

Firstly: Charlotte and her injuries. It's still not normal and not right. I took her to the doctor yesterday. He was nice about it but didn't really feel that it was so serious that it merited further investigation. He recommended damage limitation and wait and see. That's ok with me for now. While it is concerning that she would rather do the action than avoid injuring herself, it could be a bad habit, it could be a way of stimulating her senses, it could be soothing and hopefully, it will just go away on it's own. At least I have raised it with someone and I don't feel like I should be doing any more right now. The Dr pointed out that if anyone is going to work with children with negative behaviours, it would be when they are older anyway. I am still going to mention it to every professional that we go to see and I am going to call her VI teacher about it again when the summer holidays are over. Also, it is good that I know about these sorts of injuries before the new nanny starts, it would be very disturbing to have random bruises and scratches appearing on my baby with a new caregiver in the picture. I'll have to talk to her about them when she starts (one more week - can't wait!)

I finally got up the courage to start going through Charlotte's baby photos in preparation for producing a baby album for her. I haven't been able to look at photos from her first three months. All I think about is how we were so happy and we had everything we ever wanted. Well, no one ever has everything they ever wanted and we are still happy now. One of the things that Martin articulated when all this first happened was that he lost the feeling that he had always had that life would only get better. I think we are back in a place where we do expect that life will continue to get better. We really do have it very good. Still, the photo viewing did make me sad. But I am looking forward to producing a nice album for her. Since no one has given me a nice album, I think I am going to get a photobook online. Filling it with pictures of a second baby is always a challenge - there are almost none of them alone!

I finally took delivery of another Achromatopsia-related book today. It is No End in Sight, My Life as a Blind Iditarod Racer by Rachael Scdoris and Rick Steber. Rachael has Achromatopsia and I'm looking forward to reading it. In fact, I have read about two chapters already, as I finished undoing the packaging - even though I was supposed to be making dinner. I'm going to sit back down to it as soon as I finish this blog post. I think it will be a pretty fast read and I'll post a review when I am finished.

A good article about Blind Football was published by the BBC today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10914782 I don't know if I am more attuned to it now, but I do see mention of Blind Sport from time to time in the mainstream media. I guess it is one of the more intriguing things about blindness - most people know about Braille and guide dogs. I think it is good exposure and I really hope that we are going to be able to hook Charlotte up with sports associations in the future to help her build confidence and physical skills. Of course, if she wants to get out there with the fully sighted, that's fine too! I think I will be paying closer attention to the Paralympics, looking for blind athletes to point out to her.

The Yahoo Group has posted some early ideas about an Achromatopsia Conference that they would like to plan for next year. There have been a few in past years. It sounds like a good idea and I have been wondering if I can lend my event-planning skills in any way. Mainly, I am wondering if I can bring any money to it by finding willing sponsors or exhibitors for the event. I'm not sure, there are two companies I can think of who would be flogging their products and services to Achromats and they know they are already well known by the community so I don't know how much they would pay to get in front of them. Maybe to preserve exclusivity?
Sponsor types:
-Ophthalmologists
-Low Vision services
-Sunglasses
-Genetic testing services
Something to think about anyway. I wonder how many people they are expecting? I don't see us going but I'll follow along with their progress.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I have briefly read through some of your posts. It's hard for me because it reminds me of where I was so many years ago. My son turns 8 tomorrow and he was diagnosed very late with achromatopsia (at age 2 1/2). It seems like eons ago when I felt lost and unsure. Things have come so far. I readily admit I am the mother of a disabled child but I also rarely think of it. It's kind of funny. I would love to keep in contact with you via email. I wonder so much about what little Charlotte is like. Does she wear red tinted glasses? The day Rocco got his glasses was the day my life changed FOREVER! Or I should say the day his life changed. He saw the world for the first time. Rocco currently has four different glasses. They range from dark red tint to almost pink. He also has a pair of prescription swim goggles. He does not use a service dog yet. In America usually people get them at age 16 unless you go private and then you can have one at any age.

    Rocco is so independent. I am amazed at his tenacity. He is behind his peers in most areas and until only two years ago we feared some mental retardation. How funny that is now. He is in mainstream elementary school (starting 2nd grade in two weeks). He is the top four in his class at math. Reading is very behind, but Braille is tough so it's expected. Speaking of Braille... it kicks my ass, but we know Rocco's future and independence depends on it. If you think Charlotte's vision is low enough you may want to get aquainted now.

    Oh I could talk all day. I hope you don't think I'm too forward.

    -Sascha

    My email is sascharomeo@rocketmail.com

    My blog (totally about everything but blindness, but maybe you'll like it)

    http://sascharomeo.blogspot.com/

    Some posts that have Rocco in them...

    http://sascharomeo.blogspot.com/2010/03/great-braille-challenge.html

    http://sascharomeo.blogspot.com/2010/07
    /day-at-rodeo.html

    http://sascharomeo.blogspot.com/2010/07/misc.html

    http://sascharomeo.blogspot.com/2010/07/meet-my-nemesis.html

    ReplyDelete