Friday 10 September 2010

"Ma-ma"

Going to the hospital on Tuesday did affect me more than I thought it would. It was a pretty sad day. But after a little cry that evening, I've been ok since.

Because I was feeling so down, I worked extra hard to get Charlotte to say Ma-ma for the first time, and she did!

She said "Da-da" a while ago but doesn't say much very often. (She probably has no opportunity with Emily around, making so much noise.) But when I was bathing her that evening, alone, she was making lots of sounds so I worked on having her watch me say "ma ma". She stares intently at my lips when I am making sounds, like she is really trying to look at how they are made. I am surprised by how visual it seems to be for her. I guess I thought that speech was mostly aural and she would just start making proper sounds on her own. I think I will have to start spending more time speaking clearly very close to her face so that she can see my lips moving properly. This is something I guess we take for granted in a fully sighted child who can see our lips moving across the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment