Friday 20 May 2011

More pre-school stuff

I had a very nice phone call today from the principal of the pre-school of one of the schools we applied for. She said she was calling to find out a bit more information about Charlotte's condition and if there was anything they could do in the assessment to enable her to have a better experience. We talked for a while and I tried to explain as succinctly as possible. She offered that they could assess her one on one in a room with the blinds drawn. I'm impressed! The suspicious cow in me wonders whether she was calling to find out more information to decide if they are going to assess her or not, but if I take her words at face value then I like their attitude and they are climbing to the top of my wish list! I am sure she was also impressed with my wonderful document full of positive statements about what Charlotte can do and how high our expectations are. I hope that there are some schools out there that would be proud to brag about how clever one of their disabled students is and feel good about educating a blind child so successfully.

2 comments:

  1. Hello.

    To speak about my own story : I have achromatopsia. I have allways studied in normal schools with normal students. I was sitting one or two meters far from the blackboard. Then I was able to read maybe 75% of what was written. I was always among the 3 or 4 best students of my class, and studied in very prestigious universities, up to the PhD. I am now associate professor in a university. But I had to work hard to achieve this.

    I tell you this story beacuse I think it is important for achromats to know that (many) other achromats were successful students.

    I hope that your daughter will have the opportunity to study in good conditions and to prove all her cleverness.

    Yours sincerly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for writing in with your story. It is definately so important for achromats to hear success stories from others. Well done and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete