Thursday 28 July 2011

Disability Living Allowance

Today I sent off Charlotte’s application for Disability Living Allowance (DLA). 
 
I have been going through a lot of conflicted feelings about it in general and have put it off for over a year now.  But that’s not fair on Charlotte so I have to do the best I can to secure her any money that she might be able to claim.
 
My conflicted feelings centre around guilt, that handmaiden of mothers everywhere:  she seems so capable and is developing so normally that I feel guilty claiming disability for her, like she doesn’t need it and might be taking it away from someone who does.  I counter that by remembering that she does have significant difficulties that will slow her down in life and she is entitled to support for them.  I have been answering the questions on the application form based on her abilities when she is outside in daylight, without adaptive eyewear/assistance, I realise how helpless she really is and am grateful for the aids and support that she can receive.  I also feel guilty for claiming benefits when we are a family with a good income. 
 
I expect that she might be granted the middle rate of allowance which, at almost £50 per week, could quickly add up.  My intention is to put it in a bank account for her and keep it as a nest egg/trust fund for her when she is older.  She will probably have extra expenses in her life (eg sunglasses, taxis, living in central London, might find it difficult to find employment/a sugar daddy etc) so I hope that this money can make a little difference to her in the future.
 
Hence, my desire to put these benefits aside for her future and not fritter them away ourselves.  I believe in the welfare state and universal benefits should be available to all regardless of means.  Plus, family means do not always translate into future personal means and who knows what circumstances any of us may find ourselves in the future.  I’m reminded of the Chinese proverb, “From rice paddy to rice paddy in three generations.”

1 comment:

  1. Oh don't feel badly. At Rocco's recent overnight camp experience his 22 year old councilor has achromatopsia and he has what I would categorize his as being very mild achromatopsia. Even at it's mildest form he has disadvantages and he has to work harder to try to have a career. He will never be able to pursue certain things because of his vision.

    About 5 years ago we went to the Social Security Office to see if Rocco could get benefits. I assumed he was eligible, but in America things are a little different. My husband makes too much money so Rocco will not get benefits until he reaches 18. It would be nice if he was getting money now so that when he graduates from college and wants to live on his own he could have a healthy head start. We have always told him he can do anything and that education is key, but I know it will be a struggle in the work world for him.

    ReplyDelete