Friday 22 July 2011

OT: Discharged

We have been discharged from yet another service! Great news because Charlotte is doing so well, but on the other hand, I have found it really reassuring to go to these professionals to have them pronounce her fine and I am going to miss that kind of contact.

Charlotte sat there and performed every task in the test so well that it was a case of "what are we doing here?" What was remarkable was how she couldn't fathom a colour recognition test. She clearly didn't have the first clue what to do so it does show that for all her wonderful coping skills, she will need significant help in some areas.

3 comments:

  1. Oh you will love this... Rocco went this week to an overnight camp for the blind which I hope he is loving (we will pick him up on Sunday). His camp councilor (Jayme) is a fellow achromat!!! He's 22 and I am thinking a lot like Charlotte will be. He wears red contact lenses. Does not use a cane. Reads large print that is smaller than what my 71 year old father reads and he's so frickin' cool!!! I would never have guessed him to be either vision impaired or an achromat. he wore sunglasses and a hat, but he looked totally like a regular young adult. He was so pleasant and approachable. So many young adults are awkward, but he spoke with such authority. LOVE! I can't wait to pick Rocco up from camp because I get to drill Jayme a little more about his life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sascha, that's great. We are still to get a Statement for Charlotte's education (it's on the to-do list) but in the meantime, I have written a sheet for prospective schools that we are applying to. I made sure to state that we expect her to attain high educational standards, to go to university and that anything she needs will be provided for her. I am quite proud of that document!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, right reply, wrong post!

    Do let me know how Rocco enjoyed camp, I would love for Charlotte to do that kind of thing when she is a bit older. I bet you have missed him though!

    ReplyDelete