Monday 31 May 2010

The kindness of strangers

Yesterday at church we had a very nice thing happen. The church is one that we have been going to on and off for about four years and the congregation is not known for its warm welcome. So yesterday when a woman approached me, I assumed she was trying to get past. Then she asked me if Charlotte's sunglasses were medical or fashionable. I wasn't that keen to discuss it but then I realised that her approach had been so sensitive that she obviously had some experience of these matters. She told me that her daughter has an allergy to UV light and she wears protective clothing and sunglasses and avoids bright situations.

This is the first time I have had a conversation in person with someone who has been through a similar thing to me. I had to leave but I gave her my number and asked her to call me. I told her that I am in Hampstead every afternoon and I would love to have a coffee with her one day before we pick up our children from school. It was really nice of her to come and introduce herself to me and I am very grateful. I do hope she calls.

Her daughter also goes to one of the schools that it would be possible for our girls to attend and she said they have been wonderful in accommodating her daughter's special needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment